THE CRYOGENICS DEPARTMENT
2002 Perlindustria has a specific division in charge of developing thermal insulation for cryogenic facilities. We have over 10 years of experience in the sector. From the beginning we have developed our own processes and technology to achieve the highest levels of satisfaction among our customers.
We offer a wide range of services that are related to the needs of our customers.
The insulation of LNG tanks with expanded perlite is a unique and specific job.
To carry out projects of this magnitude, the expansion of the mineral must be performed on site and installation inside the tank must be executed at the same time.
Due to the large volume and dimensions of the facilities, the expanded mineral that is inserted into the tank must be compacted in layers to minimise the settlements and gaps caused by the nature of expanded perlite.
2002 Perlindustria has extensive experience of conducting these types of unique projects that are always subject to many external factors.
Cryogenic tanks are double-walled tanks with the space between the walls filled with expanded perlite as an insulation material. During the construction of these tanks, the perlite is expanded in situ using a mobile containerised furnace. Perlite is then installed inside the tank using a pneumatic pumping system.
Over the life of the tank, the perlite inside tends to self-compact causing a decline in the level of perlite in the annular gap, which results in the appearance of cold spots on the exterior surface of the tank.
2002 Perlindustria has the expertise and equipment required to inject perlite into the tank in an explosive atmosphere. This way the original levels are restored and cold spots are eliminated. Natural gas tanks must be topped up using sealed and pressurised injections of perlite that are achieved using pressurised nitrogen while maintaining the normal working conditions of the tanks. The use of pressurised nitrogen and hermetically sealed injection guarantees that the atmospheric oxygen never comes into contact with flammable gases from inside the tank, which would result in an explosive atmosphere.
The process is carried out under strict control procedures that have been developed and implemented successfully in several projects involving re-insulating LNG tanks with perlite.
Our team of highly experienced engineers is able to advise the customer and provide all kinds of details about the technical aspects and engineering requirements of this specialist service.
Once a cryogenic installation has reached the end of its useful life, it may need to be dismantled and replaced with more modern and efficient facilities. At this point in a dismantling project, one must consider how the expanded perlite will be removed and what value or treatment is going to apply to the removed material.
Perlindustria has extensive experience of this type of process and is ready to help you address the problem and find the best solution. We have the technology and procedures required to proceed with the removal of material and, if necessary, assess the revaluation of the extracted perlite. Good quality perlite can be reused if the operation is economically viable.
We supply and install cryogenic perlite to insulate all types of facilities. We have the technology and expertise required to perform these tasks, minimising the installation time and discomfort caused by the high volatility of perlite.
Depending on the volume of perlite required to tackle a project, we can either expand the material in situ while installing it or deliver the expanded perlite directly for its subsequent installation.
The method used to install insulation in these cryogenic complexes may depend on different factors:
- The quantity of perlite required to do the job.
- The availability of injection sites for perlite within the facilities.
- The possibility of using accessory resources in the project area, such as mobile cranes.
- The space around the element to be cryogenically insulated.
- The time required to carry out the insulation.
Cold boxes contain complex systems of pipework, heat exchangers and control instrumentation systems. Inevitably, there are times when the control systems fail or leaks occur in the pipes. When this happens, the elements that are coated with perlite must be emptied.
2002 Perlindustria is fully equipped to advise and carry out the controlled emptying of these complex elements, ensuring minimal loss of material so some of the emptied perlite can be reused for backfilling once the maintenance problems are solved.
We currently have:
- Five portable equipment systems, each consisting of a perlite expansion furnace and a bag filter, which allows for expanding of the material in situ and its subsequent installation anywhere in the world.
- Two complete sets of equipment to install perlite inside LNG tanks.
- A complete set of equipment to undertake the perlite insulation of LNG tanks
Our equipment and working systems allow us to adapt to the needs of our customers while realising their projects.
We work with customers who have a presence on all five continents.
QUALITY, HEALTH, SAFETY & ENVIRONMENT (QHSE)
Our management ensures that the supply of quality products and services is closely linked to environmentally friendly processes. Aside from being an important competitive factor, it is a strategic necessity to ensure the growth of the company and its market position. Achieving the desired quality and respect for the environment requires the involvement and complete participation of all the staff at a company.
The following points are based on the strategy and philosophy of our company, they have been designed to meet the needs and expectations of our customers while continuously improving our processes and avoiding any potential nonconformities.
The policies for protection and prevention of occupational risks, quality and environment are established from the following:
- Making our products and services meet the needs and specifications requested by our customers so that they are seen as a strong point of our company when compared to our competitors.
- Promoting active participation and involvement from all members of our organisation in the fulfilment of our quality objectives and corporate policy.
- Promoting the continuous improvement of our production processes, prioritising prevention and, failing that, the immediate correction of possible quality nonconformities in our products.
- Producing and providing services that use efficient methods, eliminating variability in production processes, limiting lapses of quality to a minimum and avoiding product repair or reprocessing.
- Investing in the continuous improvement of our facilities to minimise damage to the environment and public health by reducing the consumption of energy, water and raw materials in order to contribute positively towards sustaining the environment.
- Complying with all environmental regulations and laws, as well as all commitments and requirements that the company itself has taken on.
- Involving all the stakeholders in our activities in dialogue that is relevant to any matter that may be of interest.
- Complying with the Occupational Risks Act and the Data Protection Act.